Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Very tired

We've been absolutely working our butts off on getting our remodelling done before Colby arrives. It looks AMAZING but it has been really, really hard work. We've been up late every night and doing really hard work like sanding the floor, building shelves for the new closets, refurbishing the bureau we bought at a used furniture store for Colby, etc. etc.

We've been experimenting with new materials that I've never used before like zero-VOC paint and an all-natural ultra-low-VOC floor finish. I was a bit worried at first because you often have to sacrifice quality for safety but everything has turned out absolutely awesome. I can't get over how cool the floor finish is. I haven't read up on it a ton but it seems to be made from whey that is a by-product of the cheese-making industry. They say that the whey would normally end up in a landfill but they've found a way to make it into this incredibly durable, fast-drying, ultra-low-VOC finish. I was worried about durability but this stuff is already really hard (less than 24 hours old)... it is so much stronger than normal water-based finishes. I'm not sure how it will compare to the hardness of an oil-based finish (it will take a week to fully cure) but it really is impressive so far. Oh, and unlike oil-based, they claim that it won't yellow. I'd take scratched up floors over dark yellow ones any day (our downstairs is already SOO much darker than it was when we originally refinished it).

Ok, break time is over, back to work... It feels awesome to get all of this stuff done though. We're SO CLOSE to being done with our new bedroom and I'm absolutely dying to set up the nursery (which we're sleeping in until our bedroom is done). It will feel really good to actually have a space just for Colby.

36-week photos - yeah, they amaze me too, my belly looks just like a watermellon!

No comments: