Friday, October 19, 2007

Happy fetus day!

At 9 weeks today we have officially moved from embryo to fetus!

We need to make a decision about whether or not we're going to use the doppler at our next appointment to hear the baby's heartbeat. It would be nice to actually get confirmation that there really is a baby in there but I suppose the odds are pretty good that it is.

Our dilemma - dopplers are a type of ultrasound and ultrasounds might be bad. Okay, so the studies are really preliminary but we wouldn't be listening to the heartbeat for any reason other than curiosity. Even if the odds of it being damaging are one in a billion, is curiosity really a good reason to possibly put our little fetus at risk? Hmmm.... yet I'm still tempted because it would be awfully nice to hear a heartbeat and it would only be like 2 seconds. I mean, we're not talking about hours of ultrasound exposure. I'm sure the kid is in more danger every time that I get in the car.

So here's the big scary article that makes me worry about ultrasounds:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp

Obviously written from a very biased perspective but at least all of the studies are cited at the bottom so it is a good jumping-off point for looking at all different studies on ultrasound.

And another one from the same site and just as biased:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp

My morning sickness has been more-or-less gone for the last week. That had actually worried me a bit so our midwife offered to do a quantitative HCG test to make sure we're still in the right range for a normal pregnancy. I did get sick again the following night though so I think I'm fine, just lucky to have such light nausea!

No comments: